Product StewardshipProduct Stewardship is defined as "the responsible management of the health, safety and environmental aspects of a product throughout its life-cycle. It is Responsible Care applied to Products ".
Product Stewardship is an important component of Responsible Care. Its purpose is to prevent injury to human health and damage to the environment by a continuous and cost effective process of:
- reduction of actual and potential risks associated with the manufacture, packaging, distribution, handling, use and disposal of products.
- improvement in product design, assessment practices, advice, education, communication and customer support.
Product Stewardship covers all stages of a product's life-cycle. This includes initial concept, design, research and development, manufacture, storage, distribution, applications, reasonably foreseeable use, recycling and disposal. It requires co-operation between management, employees, contractors and customers and all other parties involved in the supply chain, from raw material sourcing through use to ultimate fate, to follow regulations and safe and environmentally sound practices.
Key elements of Product Stewardship are:
- Further development of Product Stewardship management systems.
- Definition of good practice and development of relevant Indicators of Performance.
- Improved member and customer support, particularly for SMEs.